Sunday, August 12, 2007

A year on....a tribute to Group 4





Ravin, the G4 supermodel







Us at Ravin and Paik Lyn's convo



Benny, the MMU Jay Chow



Left: GimHan and Jeff



Esther and I



Zi Bin and I , a year ago...








Jeff and I




Left: Wai Choong, Wee Liem, Sheng Chao, Gim Han and Jeff




The 36-ers



Some of the G4-ians





Left: Ravin and Shaun


It has been a year since I officially graduated. MMU 8th Convocation happened last 2 weekends. It reminded me so much about my own convocation a year ago. More so it reminded me of the friends I have found in my early years of university. The things they have taught me and the love they have shown me. Particularly, I will not forget the G4-ians (that's what we called ourselves). We met each other on a humble May, 2001 morning, in a classroom, while waiting for our first class to begin. It was an English class.


Oh I still remember those days vividly and the thoughts that went through my mind then!

My first impressions:


Seated right at the back of the class were a stretch of guys who lived in the hostels. They looked completely exclusive and pathetically arrogant (because they were the selected few who are elite, outstanding and qualified enough to live in that run-down hostel rooms).


And then, there was this hot chic with long hair and a sweet smile sitting in front of them...and a moment later...another confident lady walked in...and the two girls quickly became close friends. I later learned that the hot chic is called Esther and the confident lady is Michelle.



One particular personality too difficult for me to forget - a tall, thin, 'China Pek' dude, who walked in with an annoying attitude. JAMES!!! The guy whom I labelled as ADSC (Attention Deficit Syndrome Child) during the orientation programme.


Haha! Little did I know that James would be our group leader and subsequently our best friend. Little did I know that one of those arrogant-looking hostels guys would be a friend to whom I will grow to admire and respect so much and little did I know that the hot chic will be the best girl friend I will have in my entire pre-university year and little did I know that many more who sat in that classroom that day will be friends who have changed the way I looked at myself and certainly friends whom I have come to cherish so much.



Here is the list of the G4 people who have impacted my life and left a lasting impression. A big thanks to each one of them:

James - A leader I have come to respect, a dear friend, a mature person (although he doesn't behave like one) and one who holds his principles strongly. Yo, I miss ya break-dancin' and your rap!

Wai Choong - I often admire your ability to keep calm and your very soothing 'devlish smile' during exam period. I am still impressed how you managed to pull through with all the As when you sleep most of the day and play computer games throughout the entire exam week!
Have you tasted durian already?


Chee Yong - The super big guy with big brains. Thanks for tutoring us and helping me with my Physics, Calculus and other problems. I enjoy travelling with you because you were always helpful in lugging my bags =P


Zheng Jie - You have certainly grown and changed. I am glad our paths crossed. Thanks for being my Zhor Tai Tee master....

Shaun - The cute, cute Shaun. A disciplined guy with an exceptional talent in playing drums. Very systematic yet charming. I will not forget your new Samsung blue-eyd phone which was soaked when the boys threw you into the sea


Tneh - The guy who drew on my CPU his trademark of a cockroach. Definitely intelligent but extremely humble


Gim Han - The bicycle guy who tried so hard to be a pervert (quite honestly, I believe you're truly a decent and nice guy inside). You too have matured and I appreciate our friendship throughout the years


Wee Liem - All the sharing, all the rides in your car, all the food I had in your house - thank you. I am glad we can still share and pray for one another, even though we are working already. I really enjoy seeing you playing on stage. You're definitely a guy with many talents and good looks and a fabulous personality. Keep up the good work in music for God

Jeff - A pleasant guy whom I have the pleasure of knowing much later in my uni life. You're now my closest ally, geographically (hehehe) and of course the very good friend I have since I came to PJ

Calvin - I don't remember you getting angry at all. You're always smiling, laughing and always ready to help. Really good to still have you with us.

Benny- The guy in white singlet, who drove us to all corners of Malacca to try new food. I still remember all the Jay Chow chinese songs you sang in the car. They still ring in my head some times. You're certainly more mature now. I enjoy talking to you and our first group 4 wedding will be yours eh?
Jeremy - You are certainly a guy with many good qualities. I will cherish the times and things we have shared during my time in Malacca

Sheng Chao - The hunk


Chern Liang - The quiet but talented Chern Liang. Hope things are well with you now.

Colin - Oh the best room mate any guy would want. Right, Zibin?

Chien Thang - A helpful friend with a very, very warm personality. It's just so easy for people to draw close to you
Ravin - You changed me. You're still my best fashion / beauty consultant. I admire your organizing skills and certainly your modelling skills too. Above all, I thank you for encouraging me and giving me the confidence when I needed it

Michelle - The confident and stylish lady with many talents. She is gifted in creating beauty out of things and people. Thank you for your friendship and love.

Esther - The singing bird, the hot chic, and a loving friend who cares beyond the limits of time, space and distance. I am blessed by your friendship. I can't help thinking that God has placed you there in my life at that particular point of time. I pray we will still be close even when we are frail and old. Hopefully, then, we can still sing a duet. Two old ladies, with their 'tongkats' singing "We could be in love?" Haha.. Remember that essay about love and infatuation we wrote for our English assignment?


Zi Bin - One of MMU's most popular guys. Very unexpectedly, a guy of that stature would have such a friendship with an ordinary girl, unnoticed and boring. Very unusual.


These are the G4-ians who used to spend most of their days in pre-U together. They have left a huge impact in my life and I am glad we are still meeting up and keeping in touch. I thank God for each of them

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooo nice post! memory lane! btway u still have my sisters Geo book!

Janettan said...

Haha, yes I still have her book...so near yet so far..

Yep, glad our paths crossed in G4. You're certainly a nicey gentleman! Refined and well-mannered...

Anonymous said...

Hej duj! what ordinary lar! How can you be ordinary! Janet Tan wor.....the special one in G4. Right? nyek nyek...So how is Borneo? Lot's of fish, turtles, amazing race and cute hunks maybe?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Convo is a milestone in life, much to be thankful for... some goodbyes, yet new horizon beckons and new chapter in friendships :)

Janettan said...

Zibin - Ordinary, I am. A girl next door. Haha...
Borneo is good - air fresh, and people friendly. Now back in the little island up north. Taking a week's break. How's Norway treating you?

Dave - Hi Dave! Yep...new horizons to see and new things to learn. Some friendships stick with us for life or at least the memory of it and the things in which we learned from it, we carry with us to those new horizons. That makes each chapter of frienships exciting...

Anonymous said...

Norway very the good.....

Anonymous said...

People should read this.