Friday, January 26, 2007

The God of Favouritism?

I hear so often of other people's lives, vociferously declaring of the successes and blessings they have received. A Cambridge education, a big house, healthy parents, happy family, wealth in an abundant supply, international career opportunities, favour from bosses and colleagues, good looks, hot girls / guys as their girlfriends / boyfriends ..... and the list goes on...

Sounds familiar? Definitely! When I was a child, I read about my favourite Bible character King David, the man after God's heart...He was blessed with everything - wealth, health, skills, looks, wisdom, safety, victory and even a throne and the entire country was his! As much as I admire him, I also struggled with the thought that God really favored him over many other people in the world. This has led me to think, will God favor some other Christians more than me? Will He love them more than me and endow upon them rich gifts and blessings?

If another Christian gets his heart's desires and things are all working out for him....does that mean that this person loves God more than I do, hence received more blessings? At the threshold of this thought, I instantly felt insecure and got myself into a web of more confusing questions. Thankfully, Pastor Wong came to the rescue. Here are the few things that entirely clear my doubts and misconceptions and things I have learnt:

1) God gives good things to all His children according to His infinite wisdom.
That means if He thinks going to that dream company of yours is going to make you proud and that you might drift away from Him and ultimately harm you, He will definitely not give it to you even though that seems like a blessing to you.

2) God's love is not measured based on how much we love Him or how godly we are or how much time we have been committed to His ministries.
He loves us uncondtionally, and remember He first loved us. Blessings is not measured by how much you love God or how many good things you have done.

3) Not having all those good things or your dreams doesn't always mean you are not blessed.
Pain can be a blessing, hardships can be one too if God uses it to shape who He wants you to be. God doesn't bless people based on what we would define as blessings.

and the last thing I learned...

4) Sometimes having all those good things may not always mean that the person is blessed.
We are only looking at things from the surface and even if he is blessed, that's a good thing. All the more we should rejoice with him instead of dwelling in some shallow jealousy.

Looking back, I know I am blessed in so many ways. Instead of wallowing in the pool of jealousy, I am learning to be grateful each day for the little, humble and simple things in life. I know very well that my Master takes good care of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DEAR JANET, JUST ENJOYING READING WHAT YOU HAVE WIRTTEN.

THERE'S SUBSTANCE AND DEPTH.

HONEST FEELINGS EXPRESSED.