Friday, April 27, 2007

Mr and Miss Right!

Yesterday, I stumbled upon this article on the DUMC floodgates website. It has taught me some good lessons about choosing the Mr and Miss Right.

http://www.dumc.com.my/dumc_oldweb/article-1188

By Pastor Chris Kam (Floodgates Issue #35)

Before we reason about why there are no eligible partners around, we should first ask the question: “Am I eligible myself?” It is not about whether we are smart, wealthy or good looking. It is about an inner beauty and strength that transcends all these; a beauty in character and inner life, a godliness and holiness that are inherent hallmarks, possessing a humble leadership over our own life that we become a fragrance of Christ that attracts.

Godly character takes years to build. I once told my sixteen-year-old son, Ian that if he invests in building godly characters and a love for God in his teenage years, there is no reason why he should be worried about finding the right mate. When the inner character is in place, what flows out of his life is the fruit of the Holy Spirit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Not that it is a guarantee of success but he would have ruled out his side of his ineligibility first and let God do the rest.

I am assured that Adam was deep in sleep when God brought Eve into his life. He did not strive to look for a partner. God knew the loneliness in Adam and God knew the special kind of lady that would complete Adam's life. There was a sense of restedness that Adam had.

When one becomes Mr Right, he presents himself as one maturing in Christ, trusting in God for his daily provision and fulfilment of his needs. The best gift one can give to each other at the wedding altar before God and witnesses, is a maturing man or woman who loves God deeply and is prepared to include God as a full partner in their marriage.

This maturing process does not end on the wedding day. It continues right through our marriage “until death do us part”. So whether you are single, courting or married, are you the Mr or Miss Right?

1 comment:

R1ch@rD said...

Welcome back to blogdom! And a double post too...

The DUMC link was nifty and I am in agreement with Chris's message. Personally, I like the part where he harps on Adam's state of restedness as it is resonant with God's call for us to trust in his unfailing providence as He knows what we need without us even asking. He even knows what we need before we do! :O

I believe that Adam's reaction when he saw Eve could be compared to Job's "Now that my eyes have seen you..." proclamation. But Adam had it easy because he never saw a woman before. Sad dude... he would be overjoyed with whoever. Okay, bad joke.

Anyway, in today's context, I'd say that we dream. And we can trust God to give us what we need or who we need for that matter.

Seeking to attain the fruits of the spirit is pivotal and I did comment a little on it. Not half as good as Chris Kam and I feel it is a little shonky so do help me out. Penny for your thoughts please.

http://serenity-now-rl.blogspot.com/2007/04/regenerate.html

Have fun and take care in Penang.