Monday, April 9, 2007

Happy 10th Anniversary, Daddy!

People always celebrate anniversaries to remind them of the good things or sad things they have/had. It gives people a sense of gratefulness, love and understanding. It also helps us to cherish our past, appreciate our present and to learn well for our future. We are forgetful beings and hence anniversaries are a way to remind us.

Easter this year will be different for me. It will be the 10th anniversary of my father’s victorious fight against cancer. Doctors gave him at most 5 years to live and he doubled that record, even though he has the most advance stage of cancer. He is still alive, kicking and doing his regular swim and exercise (those who have met him can agree with me on this). Wow…hoohoo…so proud of you, Dad!

Dad has always been a very positive person. His optimism reflects his bravery in many instances, particularly his fight against cancer. He taught me well of how I should think and defeat my greatest enemy – negative emotions. During those jogs and hikes up the hills, Dad will not fail to listen to my stories and advise me on my emotions and very often he hits the weakest spot of my muddled emotions. I miss those jogs and hikes with him (Oh, yes! I really need a vacation in Penang).

I see courage in Dad during those early moments of his fight against cancer. Immediately when the doctors told him he has a huge tumour and they were almost certain it’s cancer, he asked to have the tumour removed. He told mom at that time, he just entrusted us into God’s hands, knowing that he’s the only bread winner in the house and we were all still very young children.

I also learned from Dad to be faithful to God in good and bad times. Dad refused to forego God even though things seem dark and hopeless. He persisted and clung on to his only Hope, even if it means to die, he will not leave the God who has called him. Today, I can be that witness that God has not short-changed us and He has been as faithful as He was before to my dad and us.

Looking back these last 10 years, I never imagined Dad will live to see me graduate and still running strong. I just want to thank God for keeping him with us for so long and whatever the future maybe, like my dad, I will trust in Him. Easter is a time to remember the love of God so wonderfully demonstrated on the cross for us all but it is also a time for me to remember the love of God in a very real, special and personal way.

Thank you, Lord for hearing my prayers 10 years ago and still not forget me…Your love is more than what we can fathom and comprehend. When Godma cuddled us at that dark, lonely hospital lobby, we cried out to you and in the cruel silence of the night, You heard us. Now, I know You were there at the lobby embracing me, Joanne and Godma that night. You are still that same God who embraced us 10 years ago…and is still embracing us now. Thank you, for the cross and Your love that sees us through. I will not forget Your love. Easter will always be an anniversary for me to remember Your unfailing love.

Happy Easter to everyone! May you discover and experience the true meaning of Love this Easter just as I did 10 years ago.



Far left: Daddy, Me, Mom, Elaine and 'Ke Mak'

1 comment:

R1ch@rD said...

The apple does not fall far from the tree and I see your father's strength in you. Ultimately, may His strength give us strength.